TECHNET Archives

May 2003

From:
"WEEKES, MICHAEL HS-SNS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 12:16:27 -0400
any flux you use to solder assemblies (smt and plated thru hole) which may
be nicknamed: no clean, water soluble, RMA, washable, removable, etc. should
be better understood by you through testing.  this can include ion
chromatography testing (to detect surface chlorides, bromides, other halides
as well as weak organic acid) in addition to surface insulation testing SIR,
to further understand what type and amount of contaminant is present.  these
could present a risk of electromigration, based on the test results.

then, after that, you can see if there's any correlation between these tests
and the ionograph. Many no cleans show poor correlation to traditional gross
extract tests like the ionograph, since the residues stick to the joint
better than a water-soluble flux residue, for example.

  depending on the flux type, manufacturer, process, PWB finish, etc, you
may be able to "Know" whether your board assembly is "clean"

Michael Weekes
Master Engineer - EOE
Hamilton Sundstrand / UTC
MS 190-6