TECHNET Archives

May 2003

Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 09:22:05 +0800
Hi, Ofer,

If the hole aspect ration is not more than 5:1, I would have the via holes
plugged with epoxy and plated over while the PCB is being fabricated
(before final Cu plating and LPI). The epoxy plugs do tend to form small
bumps because of expansion during the hot HASL dip process, but not always.
I have had some impressively flat finishes on HASL coated boards so
plugged. In any event, they wouldn't be enough to interfere with a BGA ball
of 20 or 25 mils diameter and prevent them soldering properly.

I'm slightly curious as to how you can plug from both sides, unless you do
it in a vacuum, without getting air trapped in the middle. I'm trying to
think of an alternative process for you but cannot. Why do you have to plug
all the holes anyway? Gasketing? If it is gasketing, perhaps you can get
away with just tenting over the via holes on one side of the board. I won't
suggest both sides, because I don't like tenting both sides - I get
concerned about the atmosphere left trapped inside the hole.

Peter

Ofer Cohen <[log in to unmask]>   27/05/2003 11:19 PM
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to Ofer Cohen