TECHNET Archives

May 2003

From:
Eddie Rocha <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 10:15:28 -0700
These days, that's not a lot of vias at all. We routinely see vias in the
5,000 range and down to 8 mils in diameter. When we began building
PCB's with these smaller vias, the challenge was to thoroughly deposit
electroless copper on the via hole walls. Some of the keys to
accomplish this were to first minimize resin smear during the drilling
operation and remove it prior to depositing copper, also to properly
remove drill debris from the holes prior to copper deposition, and then
implementing effective vibration during the electroless copper
deposition process. Without these items resolved, open vias will be
present from time to time.