TECHNET Archives

May 2003

From:
Dale Ritzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 09:19:43 -0500
Brian,
I would normally be the last to start banging a drum and trying to bring
this to everyone's attention, but it is worth some caution since we don't
know what is and isn't true concerning the SARs outbreak (please note that I
stopped short of calling it an epidemic, since it isn't unless you believe
everything CNN and the news media would have you believe). If the virus can
survive even for a short time (24-48 hours), it is plenty of time to get
trapped in a bundle of components or PCBs from a Taiwan or Chinese shop
(where the shipping person coughed as it was being shrink-wrapped), possibly
make the trip to other points via air, then be released into the Receiving
areas of an electronics manufacturer. Since this virus may not care if it
exists in a vacuum or in the open air, I would hope that all businesses that
receive materials from the affected regions of the world would exercise some
caution in this regard.

Again, not trying to cause mass hysteria - just suggesting that we use some
caution in what has the potential to be a growing world wide issue.

Dale Ritzen
Quality Manager
AMS