TECHNET Archives

May 2003

From:
James TerVeen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 12:56:42 -0400
I do thin you are right but let me play the other side for a moment.  You
have a set of pads with epoxy between and no component.    ?????   Why no
component.   Maybe for a variation on another assembly???  Maybe for an RF
fix for tuning later in the assembly???   Maybe when the customer gets the
board they solder a component on for just the heck of it.   But if the glue
dot is there and it is hard they have to chip it off and if it is in a
couple of places then what a mess.     I am sure there is no requirement to
leave it there but why not just call the customer and say we have it, is it
a problem for you???

Just my take on this.

Jim

                      Steve Gregory
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      M>                       cc:
                      Sent by: TechNet         Subject:  [TN] Adhesive where no component is loaded...

                      05/14/03 12:28 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "TechNet E-Mail
                      Forum."; Please
                      respond to
                      SteveZeva

Hi All!

The fun never ends...

I've been involved in a rather heated (albeit silly, I think...) debate
with an inspector here, about adhesive being deposited where there is no
component loaded.

As you may surmise from my posts over the past few days, I stencil epoxy,
not dispense. For some reason, the issue has come up with one of my
inspectors here, requesting that I get something in writing from our
customer saying that it's okay to have epoxy deposits at locations where
there is no component loaded. I told her that I wasn't going to do it
because I didn't want to look silly asking our customer if it was okay to
have a glue dot at a location that's not loaded.

Her reasoning is that we're putting something on the board that's not being
called out on the bill of material. My response is that the epoxy isn't
called out anyway, but we have to use it to be able to process this board
that has PTH and SMT on the bottom. "But there's no component there, so
there shouldn't be any glue there." was her response. "But it doesn't make
any difference, it's a non-issue" I calmly replied.

We've been debating this for 2-days now, and I'm about at my wits end.
There's nothing in the -610 or the J-STD-001 that says it's defect, or that
it's forbidden to deposit epoxy where a component isn't loaded, and there's
nothing in the documentation from our customer to keep the unused areas
free from epoxy. I've already spent much more time on this issue than I
ever thought I would. Why this issue has popped-up now, I don't have a
clue. Me thinks it's much ado about nothing.

What is your take on this issue?

-Steve Gregory-