TECHNET Archives

May 2003

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 13:56:33 +0300
Steve

One point I would consider when qualifying a product: a written
guarantee by the vendor that the product will be on the market for a
minimum of 5 years, preferably 10, without modification, so that you
don't have to go to the expense of frequent requalification. In the
event of a product being withdrawn within the period, for whatever
reason, the vendor will support the cost of requalification, even if the
results favour a competitor's product. If everyone insisted on this,
then the manufacturer of the product will think twice about withdrawing
a product during a viable lifetime. The downside, of course, is that,
after 5 years, there may be better products on the market, but so what,
if the one you are using does what you ask of it?

Which large company with clout will start the ball rolling?

Brian