LEADFREE Archives

May 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 12:59:10 -0400
Ladies and gentlemen,
Thank you for your previous responses on this topic for NA and Europe.  I would now like to know what there is on the books or proposed for Asia, excluding Japan.  I am already aware of the laws for the large ticket items like refrigerators, etc.  A couple of weeks ago I was on a conference call sponsored by the IPC about the materials declaration issues and someone else on the call said that China was proposing lead free legislation like the EU.  Can anyone confirm or debunk this?  What about Thailand, Taiwan and other countries?

Oh, and here is a summary of what I got from my previous questions:
US - no federal legislation on the books or planned
   - lead related legislation proposed in Maine, but defeated
   - Massachusetts has legislation to do with CRTs

EU - WEEE of course passed and in place July 1, 2006
   - individual countries to pass appropriate legislation or will be "fined" by EU
   - fines for non-compliance to be set by individual countries.  Will range for the infinitesimal to the astronomical.
   - May be criminal charges attached to make execs sit up and take notice.

If I have misinterpreted anything people sent me, set me straight!

regards,
Bev Christian
Research in Motion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Leadfee Mail List provided as a free service by IPC using LISTSERV 1.8d