TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
Steve MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:29:03 -0500
Hi Olivia,

Franklin makes an excellent point.

You don't pound a thumb-tack with a sledge hammer.

If you don't have a vendor-audit process that's flexible (Some companies
whip their 8000 page GAP audits on the military contractors and the one man
shops with out concern for relevance) consider this as an opportunity to
create one.

The first thing you really need to know is not what generic third party
documents can help you, but what they use for quality control.  Are they ISO
certified?  Do they have a QMS. Are they usinf IPC?  If they do, that's
where you get your questions form.

Look at the issues you are seeing, and see if they have a documented process
to address it.  You don't need to know the difference between a Dep line and
a drip tank if they have a QMS. Ask them questions about their instruciton
or training manual, their quality system.  You may be doing them a favor,
unless they wont let you see it, which sends its own message.

If they haven't got any training or quality system tools, you might suggest
they address that, and start with the problems you are seeing in their
product. (Be diplomatic of course).

If their documents read like stereo instructions, or governmental rules of
order, and there isn't any real documentation being generated as a result of
properly following the processes, they probably aren't even using them for
more than a mouth-piece marketing their ISO qualifications to bring in
sales.  Still, if they approved them, thats their "bible."
Use it to get your answers if you can and take them to task on these
"requirements."

As a rule, I use their Quality docs, and relevant industry standards.  Those
are the recognized tools.  I have a generic qualification doc, but I don't
use it for a site-audit.  Talk to employees and feel out the culture.  Is it
relaxed, tense, and cleanliness isn't always a clue.  Almost everyone cleans
the house before company comes over.  If they are honest about their methods
you should be able to tell, and their may be a little dirt here and there.
As long as it is clean where it needs to be.

(In the bathroom)

Good luck.

Steve Mac Donald