TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
"Barmuta, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:15:25 -0700
Russ: To add a little more to the early history of soldermask.
Early electronics such as PCA's were encapsulated to protect them from the
environment, vibration, abrasion, etc. Epoxies proving to be the best at the
time for the application. The Navy was one of the forerunners in this due to
the severe conditions electronics were exposed to on ships in salt water.
The potted assemblies worked but the problem was they were nearly impossible
to repair. In the late forties early fifties they then began applying the
epoxy as a surface coating instead of potting the entire unit. This provided
repairability along with most of the advantages of potting. It was actually
more of a conformal coating than soldermask as we know it today. This in
combination with a need to reduce weight(minimize solder pickup on circuits)
for avionics then evolved into the more common mask applied to the bare
board. Hence the use of epoxy coating on circuit boards as soldermask.

Michael Barmuta

Staff Engineer

Fluke Corp.

Everett WA