TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
Russ Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:47:15 -0400
It depends.  If this is a repeat order and if you are buying components
at standard lead times (often 10 to 12-weeks).  If the boards are
scheduled for routine manufacturing at specific intervals, components
are generally not an issue.  If you expedite parts in, the cost
escallates.  As far as throughput, we build, test and ship everything we
do same day, using lean pull system.  Helps on inventory turns and
eliminates (for practical purposes) all WIP.  This requires daily
delivery schedules from suppliers, including our in-plant stocking
distributors -- but, typicaly if we have built a board before, we can
insert the release within 3-weeks (providing no parts issues are
created) and we even help our customers by delivering (on occasion)
within the same week.  Depends mostly if tooling and test are set or if
you need NPI.  If NPI, we would find 4 weeks fully tested to be great
service.  That is more akin to prototype work than production volume,
which is what I am referring to.

All the best...

Russ Steiner
Manager, Marketing & Business Development
Phone  877-622-EMS1 (Toll-Free in USA)
Phone  989-539-1811 (From Canada/Mexico)
Fax      877-622-3672
Cell Ph 989-245-2606

"The winds and the waves are always on the side of the ablest
navigators."