TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
Dave Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:17:54 -0500
Hi Joyce! Yep, IPC-TR-464 plus addendum, I know that report very well. The
JSTD-002 and 003 committees are working on changing the industry culture on
"aging". There have been a number of studies and investigations since the
publication of the 464 report that demonstrates we really don't "age" a
surface in an identical manner as Mother Nature with the use of steam
and/or baking - in fact many times we can create a surface the doesn't
resemble a naturally aged surface at all (e.g different oxide species,
thicknesses, etc.). You will find that both the 002 and 003 specifications
now use the term "conditioning" to describe an accelerated treatment
process on a surface. There have been too many instances where someone
tries to correlate X amount of steam conditioning as X number of months of
storage without having demonstrated the resulting conditioned surface
structure/species is the same as a naturally aged surface. The committees
are now working on what is an appropriate conditioning methodology that
isn't unnecessarily harsh but does reflect natural surface conditioning.
Lots of work ahead but the committee's are going to make an attempt to
improve the specifications. The Alternative Final Finishes committee is
also working on the issue.

Dave

                      "joyce"
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       "'TechNet E-Mail Forum.'" <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
                      om>                      cc:
                                               Subject:  RE: [TN] Raw card solderability
                      04/28/2003 09:47
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      joyce.koo

Dave,
I believe IPC has a Tech report on different finishing againest steam
aging testing and solderability.  I believe it is also including the
storage infor as well.  Very old doc. I think.
                                                                 jk