TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:41:13 +0300
Charlie

I hate the term "semi-aqueous", not only because monohydrogendemioxide
doesn't exist but because, psychologically, it is very misleading,
implying, as you say, that a simple rinse is sufficient when, in fact,
the wash/rinse cycle must be at least as good as if you were cleaning
off water-soluble flux residues. The process is to solubilise the
residues in a solvent and then to clean off the solubilised residues.
This is why the United Nations have opted for the alternative title HCS
or hydrocarbon/surfactant, which is more descriptive and scientifically
more correct (originally, when it was a terpene/surfactant mix).

Actually, historically, the term goes back to London Chemicals'
Loncoterge 444 series saponifiers in the 1960s, then DuPont pinched it
for their Axarel and that's how it got stuck to where it is today.

How many people have come to grief because they did not wash off the
solvent+residue mix well enough? Legions.

Brian