TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
Steve MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:41:01 -0500
Great thread.

ISO isn't looking for the same things.  The misconception is that ISO
guarantees quality.  It doesn't, and any third party auditor, paid
consultant, or QA manager should be willing to tell you that.  It
establishes a framework from which quality process can be demonstrated as
effective.  Speed limits and traffic signs don't guarantee safe drivers, and
we all know that. ISO systems need to be evaluated not so much as a vehicle
for quality, but by the results that are created from it.  Most employees
and managers see ISO as a necessary evil, and no one wants it, or
acknowleges it until it serves their own interests.  But it is important
that one does exist, becuase what it can do is expect documentation and
control evidence to be kept and maintained.  That evidence is what you need
to see.  The system will simply tell you how they collect it and where to
find it. What they choose to look at and how often speaks volumes about
their attitude toward quality, and then how they responded to what they
learned.

Steve