TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
Kari Rambo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:39:34 -0600
ISO lost a bit of credibility because of the fact that companies could be
registered as long as the required procedures were in place, and being
followed. (The procedures didn't have to be good).

Because of this, ISO 9000:2000 contains new requirements for customer
satisfaction and continual improvement of the QMS, through the use of data
collection and analyses. These requirements of are intended to "raise the
bar", so that companies making "cement life preservers" will no longer be
able to maintain certification (unless they can show their customers are
actually happy with the cement life preservers).

When an ISO 9000 QMS is used as intended (not just a certificate posted on
the wall), it is an extremely powerful tool. Since there are always
companies that just want the certificate, it will be interesting to see how
things pan out with the new requirements.

Kari Rambo