TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
"Furrow, Robert Gordon (Bob)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:15:21 -0400
Bill,

If you have adequate HASL thickness then this finish should be good for
significantly longer than a year. We routinely ran HASL boards that were 2
years old and more. Of course maybe that is why we no longer do any internal
assembly. There are some important parameters that need to have been
controlled. The minimum thickness should show no readings below 60
microinches and we required at least 95% of the readings over 100
microinches. If you have XRF readings that are in the 40 microinch range
then I would be concerned, as part of what the XRF picks up as solder
thickness is the tin atoms in the intermetallic layer. This also shows up as
a higher tin percentage in the XRF reading. Also, the boards need to have
been stored in a controlled environment. With today's lean manufacturing a 6
month shelf life may be considered adequate, but a good HASL coating
properly stored will last much longer.

Thanks,
Robert Furrow
Printed Circuit Board Engineer