TECHNET Archives

April 2003

Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:15:48 -0400
From: joyce [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 8:46 AM
To: 'Dougal Stewart'
Subject: RE: [TN] Warpage NSTC

Not so much about tech content:
The problem is two fold:
(1) board house should make their capability matrix known to the
designer and provide "guidelines" or "do's and don'ts" prior to the
layout.  This should work for long time relationship (such as "marriage"
contracts....).  Most of the time, I have to ask for the capability
matrix... 70% of time, it took some time to get it (not sure if it not
exist or it is safe guided top secrete).
(2) designer should select board shop prior to finalize the design, so
it got no potato chips in the bag for future.  The design should only
finalized after the board shop signed and reviewed for symmetrical
design, edge clearance, ground plane thickness, etc.etc. (I am asking
for trouble I know... The board shop will come want everything so
"perfect" the designer thinking about quitting the job for good.... The
board shop also want so much safe guide for their own good, so you can
almost forget the "pushed boundary design"...yada, yada, yada).
Only real good friends can get both of them.... But in the real world,
everybody should be "good friend".... Just like marriage, we can not
live with other half, we can not live without the other half...(don't
forget, it is usually called "the better half")... So much for NSTC
now...(just wondering, why Doug is switch to light weighted Dew... No
more sugar coated TechNet? ;-) My 2 cents.

jk