TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:16:09 -0500
You know, I recommended this forum to friend about a week ago, and now I'm
embarrassed
how much overhead he has to wade through just to learn more about boards.
He has already
given up and checked out, but I'll stay, I just wish we could all agree on
a simple guideline
here:

"If it doesn't have anything to do with boards, talk about it somewhere
else"

The purpose of communication is to get ideas and info from one mind to
another, so it doesn't
bother me that you have run-on sentences in your post, you used "-" when
you should have
used commas, when you DID use commas you sprinkle them too freely, you
spelled God wrong,
and you use terms that aren't understood universally, like "fuddy-duddie".

But you know what? I still understood what you meant, and isn't that the
point?

chill,
Jack

----- Message from [log in to unmask] on Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:59:04
+0800 -----

 Subject: Re: Communication style
          (NTC)

Eric, you have my full agreement and support, though I was scolded the
other day with the comment that language evolves - to improve
communications, I was told. I know language evolves - it has to in order to
embrace new technologies, discoveries and ideas. The mobile phone form of
shorthand messaging in normal communications, though, is, as you say, for
those who like to pose and show off under the delusion that they're
impressing others with how up to date they are, how massively too busy they
are, or whatever, to find the time to write properly.

Like any form of compression, many data are lost, and one has to know the
original full-form version in order to accurately interpret what is meant
(though that's not always possible). If/when that knowledge disappears,
Gawd knows what will happen to clarity of expression and understanding.
Look at what happened when schools gave up formally teaching spelling and
grammar (in the UK, at least) - we now have a generation of teachers who
can't spell properly or teach grammar, because they've never been taught it
themselves. Accuracy went from the language and now the Education
Authorities are having to try and re-introduce the formal teaching of
spelling and grammar to redress the balance.

We may be fuddy-duddies, but that doesn't make us wrong - quite the
reverse, I would say!

Peter