TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:46:02 +0300
Carrie

My Smart answer: It all depends on the chemistry of the flux.

1. Alcohol will not react chemically with the residues.
2. Some "no-clean" fluxes may encapsulate activators in a matrix and
alcohol can decapsulate by dissolving the matrix and not necessarily the
activators which may have polymerised with the soldering heat.
3. Ionic contamination testing a "no-clean" flux, which is not cleaned,
is absolutely meaningless in absolute terms.
4. Ionic contamination testing a "no-clean" flux, which is not cleaned,
may be used to determine the consistency of a process in relative terms.
IOW, if you determine the mean and standard deviation for a single board
design, any subsequent consistent change, **in either direction** will
mean that the process has derailed.

Brian