TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
Kathy Kuhlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:49:45 -0600
I have been lurking and reading the post for this discussion thread and finally I have my thoughts on the topic composed.  Yes, look at all of the items previously mentioned.  Having managed a supply base of 800 active suppliers and performing audits on the top 100 who got most of the dollars at the time I firmly believe that an audit is an audit....  No matter what the industry or product or supplier it all boils down to finding out if the supplier has documented what to do, documented what they did, and reviewed the results for improvement.

Suppliers I always chose for approval all had a proactive up front engineering review, knew past performance and judged current performance from it, performed DFM, had little WIP materials (overhead you pay for with floor space, long lead times, etc), and performed basic process control with statistical rationale.  In most audits with better suppliers any question was answered by operators and the operators showed confidence and pride in their process.

I would also like to stress that the up front work begins with the customer.  Design the product well, make it manufacturable, listen, be open for change, and be friends...Even bad suppliers can be great suppliers with the right program, customer relationship, and open concise communication.

Kat