TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
"Valerie St.Cyr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:26:25 -0400
We face the same problem but from the other side of the table. Recently at
IPC EXPO
Gary Brist, et al, presented their paper: "Differential Impedance
Assessment of PCB
Interconnects".  The paper is very good. A major focus was first on
attempting to
quantify and minimize measurement variation and error. Their initial
round-robin
found "NO correlation" (suprised?). I can't and wouldn't try to condense
the entire
paper, but in their particular study  with their variables they did find
that manual probing
varied from 0.8 to 2.0 ohms and automated probing varied from 0.25 - 0.40
ohm.
Obviously when one needs to have +/- 5% on 50 ohms (5 ohms range) you can't
"lose"
2 ohms or more to technique and instrumentation.

Brian Butler <[log in to unmask]>@IPC.ORG> on 04/15/2003 07:10:01
PM

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond
       to Brian Butler <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:    TechNet <[log in to unmask]>