TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:06:02 +0300
Charlie

I have seen this quite often and it is actually a sign of good cleaning!
I believe that what happens is that tin is sufficiently amphoteric that,
if the solder joints are really clean, a mildly basic solution will etch
out a very thin amount of tin-rich alloy, leaving a lead-rich alloy at
the surface. As the latter is very clean, it will oxidise readily.
especially during drying. As others have said, it is purely cosmetic and
should actually be welcomed. If you don't get it, the cleaning quality
is possibly less good!

Brian