TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
"Grabski III, John R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:52:25 -0400
This is getting a bit out of hand...

As a regular visitor to many forums, I have seen my share of flame wars,
trolling, and spamming...  And this situation (and the fact that some seem
to WANT to drag this out) is right up there with other pointless web-based
conflicts...  Some folks here really needn't comment on communication
style...  If you want regular English, call somebody *on the phone* who
lives in upstate NY...  there...  no accent, no over-use of slang, etc.
etc...  If somebody has a question and it's a little hard for you to
de-crypt, pass it by... read the next msg in yr inbox ;).  There's some PC
hardware enthusiast forums I visit, where some smaller circles of users
(50-300) use a lot of txt spk with each other...  Here, it's 99.9% regular
English, and it seems like any time somebody uses *just a little* txt spk,
somebody who has woken up on the wrong side of the bed goes off (repelling
the original topic poster, who may be young and enthusiastic about
communicating through this medium) with some conundrum about how it makes
life difficult...  waa... :D

I read these messages to help me at work.
I understand many of the messages and answers
Those that I don't understand, I pass up

At least there's no *u r teh suxx0rz*  or *0wnz j00* or *brb/m3gotz2g0*...
Look: "u" = "you"...  "U R" = "you are"... "ur" = "your" ..."th"... "the"...
Complaining about this stuff is like someone in "assembler code 101" whining
about their wrist hurting.

Here's a little phpp speak: "mods, please close this thread!"

There are legit questions and answers here.  Regarding electronics.  If need
be, maybe a forum moderator should post "forum rules/regulations", so there
doesn't have to be 9 extra msgs in everybody's inboxes about forum
behavior...  jeez...

...back to work.  Hope all other tech-net stuff today is about work, so we
can *learn together* and *help each other*.

-John Grabski