TECHNET Archives

March 2003

From:
Nancy Trumbull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:06:01 -0500
Howard,
  I was introduced to the finger cots 4 years ago when I started working here.  The other two facility were always very strong enforcing proper handling of the PCB.
I am here to say proper handling will go a long way. I have  20 years of proper handling at two facilities. And the issues that have arised fron these small tubular pieces of rubber are not worry the trouble.
Associate using finger cots have introduced many issues.
Finger cots issues.
1) Stuck in the screw drivers while putting on connectors
2) Stuck inside assembly parts causing mal-functions
3) Extra cost in purchasing, and disposal of, cleaning and picking them up all over the facility
4) Associate believe that the  finger cots or covering of any type will allow them to touch the board any way they want. So then you will  have poor handling of  parts. This in turn will cause in process defects as missing chips /parts, miss aligned parts and other issues.

I say teach proper handling and you will  not need the covering.

At least without finger cots / covering we are some what assume that the hands are cleaned various times during the day. I have noted finger cots torn , blacken on the end , too small for the associate, and you can only guess how long the associate has used the same ones.
As you can see I'm not in favor of them , my vote is for PROPER HANDLING to alway be in forced.

Other than  gloves at wave where the board may be hot. But even than we need to handle the boards properly.
Just my two cents

Nancy T.
>>> [log in to unmask] 03/05/03 04:45PM >>>
Advice requested,

I'm sure this topic has been broached before, but I would like to solicit
your opinions on the subject of using fingercots or gloves verses using
bare hands when handling components or PCB's before soldering or conformal
coating (IPC Class II).  I tried to do a TechNet search on this, but it
failed to go through for some reason.

I am of the opinion that careful handling of components or PCB's by their
non-soldering surfaces with clean bare hands is the way to go.  Of course,
it is up to manufacturing personnel to keep their hands in a clean
condition.  From what I have seen, gloves just tend to soak up and
disperse multiple contaminants on soldering surfaces and they give
personnel a false sense of security.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance for
the advice.

Howard Watson
SMT Manufacturing Engineer