TECHNET Archives

March 2003

Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:30:33 -0500
Apperance do have some weight:
(1) as for eutectic solder of 63/37: shining means Sn rich oxide with
very thin layer on the surface.  Not so "shining" means Pb rich oxide
sometimes = un-stable oxide on the surface (cause by many reasons, e.g.
not wash water soluble flux on time, etc.etc.etc)
(2) ENIG - can't say anymore than all of you already said
(3) cold solder joints are normally not shining
(4) other many "wrongful" "should not happen" stuff...
I would like to have shining joints if I do have choice...at no cost, of
cause....(give the choice of proof all the possible cause of "non
shining" have no reliability issue, it might be cheaper to give someone
a "shining" one ;-).

                                               jk