TECHNET Archives

March 2003

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:58:33 -0000
Intuitively this sounds correct,: silver is a nice bright shiny metal, so
mixing silver in should brighten things up.
In practice 2% is not enough to do anything visually, and the silver just
adds another possible structure to the solder. Thus if time/heat is
excessive this is encouraged and joints can be more grainy. The exact
opposite of what is desired.

Have you considered the possibility that what customer is looking at on the
other boards is not bright shiny solder but bright shiny flux? Some residues
can act like a glossy varnish.

Regards

Mike Fenner

Applications Engineer, European Operations
Indium Corporation
 T: + 44 1908 580 400
M: + 44 7810 526 317
 F: + 44 1908 580 411