TECHNET Archives

March 2003

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:23:58 +0200
Phil

I use Netscape 7.01, but the filtering works with all types (with slight
set-up variations). I've tried most major clients but I always come back
to Mozilla-based systems. I would never use Outlook of any flavour for
security reasons. Eudora has been left behind by its rivals and is slow
and not very friendly. Opera (which I've not tried lately) was
cumbersome. Star was top-heavy for e-mail messaging (I think they've now
dropped the client feature). The one I haven't tried is Pegasus.

Call me paranoid, but my system is pretty secure, with four-level
protection:
- ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall Pro
- POPFile Bayesian e-mail filtering
- Norton AntiVirus
- PestPatrol (anti-spyware/adware)
All these do their bit transparently and quasi-instaneously before any
e-mail even hits my client. I have only a very few filters within my
e-mail client itself, one for each of the 6 filter buckets to send the
contents to the right inbox. The only other one Netscape filtering is
for the IPC bucket, which receives the messages for 3 net lists (TN, LF
and EN): it sorts them into 3 sub-inboxes.

That lot, above, cost me a total of about 100 bucks or so. Never has
money been better spent. (Of course, if you receive e-mail via a
corporate network, you don't need all of this, but you may need some.)

Brian