TECHNET Archives

March 2003

From:
Gene Felder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:33:26 -0800
It is the correct ESD Association standard ESD STM4.1-1997 Worksurfaces -
Resistance Measurements, however, the information in it is primarily for a
Test Lab and evaluation of material.  It specifies the number, sizes of
specimens, pre-conditioning & temperature and humidity in the environmental
chamber.  However, there is a section on Periodic Worksurface Testing,
section 6.4.

Standards can be purchased from the ESD Association at www.esda.org

See http://www.esda.org/standards.html#update & ESDA Standards Activity
Update-October 2002 Meeting Series
 "Workstations WG-53 has completed the writing of several sections of its
initial draft of a compliance verification document. The sections cover
test equipment, test procedures, test requirements, test frequency, and
troubleshooting."  I am on this committee and we are to provide a document
providing guidance for Compliance Verification Plans.

My advice:
To save time, I recommend Testing RTG but Resistance-to-Equipment Ground
Measure the RTG resistance with a 5# electrode the worksurface furthest
from grounding point snap to equipment ground which can be to any
convenient electrical outlet.  Plug AC Outlet Checker into electrical
outlet or into extension cord plugged into electrical outlet.  Green light
should illuminate; if not, contact electrician to check outlet.

That is only measure RTT or RTG to the ground snap on the mat for
troubleshooting purposes.  In your Compliance Verification Plan it's
important to not state that you are measuring per ESD S4.1, but rather
something like "using modified test methods in accordance with concepts
outlined in ESD 4.1."

Gene Felder