LEADFREE Archives

March 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:26:01 +0200
Gordon

I agree with you entirely.

I was expanding on the false premisse of the EU regulations that forbid
lead in solder on leaching grounds. If that were valid, I was stating
that exempting CRTs and so on, would cause much more perceived harm than
lead-bearing solder because of both the mass and the solubility. It is
obvious that neither would cause harm in practice.

At least, no one seems to have thought about remelting CRT glass into
drinking vessels or vinegar bottles -- yet :-(

BTW, I believe the ultimate lead fixation in soil is cation exchange
with iron. Even lead carbonate, sulfate and sulfide have some solubility
in cold water (see CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics). Insoluble
iron complexes are found in most soils (except some desert sands) and
willingly give up some of their iron in favour of lead, forming a
compound which would release its lead only under extreme conditions of
chemical or thermal stress, decomposing the molecule.

I speculate now, but I have wondered whether EDTA salts, present in many
household and industrial products, would not tend to solubilise the
lead, though. Frankly, I have no idea.

Brian