TECHNET Archives

February 2003

From:
"McFaddin, Wade" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:19:09 -0600
Hi Ervin,

I'm sure you will get some good ideas from the real experts on the forum but
I thought I would give you my opinion.  I have had the pleasure of
performing failure analysis on a number of assemblies in the last 2 years
that failed because of  "Black Pad" and one thing that I have seen on all of
them (and in all of the published reports that I have seen) is the presence
of the hyper-corrosive gold plating cracks in the nickel layer.  On several
of these failures we were able to obtain bare boards from the same date code
and sure enough these exhibited the same cracks.  The problem is that these
cracks are very small and  the microsections have to be prepared really
well,  and these microsections need to be evaluated using a SEM.  Some of
the more severe cracks can be seen using a good metallurgical microscope,
but to get a good look at them a SEM is needed.

So my opinion is that your vendor should supply a number of microsections
through random BGA pads or the smallest pitch SMT pads on your board, and
evaluate these microsections at sufficient magnification (2000-5000x) to
determine if these cracks are present.

On a side note,  we are working on a possible non-destructive screening
method for the "Black Pad" defect here where I work using our SEM,  which is
a low-vacuum type with a large chamber (we can fit a board up to 12-14
inches square) in the chamber.  It's still in the very early stages but I
would be glad to talk with you off line if you are interested.

Good luck!
Wade McFaddin
Nextek Inc.
email: [log in to unmask]