TECHNET Archives

February 2003

Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:32:14 +0800
Sorry, Jack - more questions.

How is your stencil made? Laser cut, etched, spark-eroded?
Is it parallel sided or angled?

Stepped stencils work well enough, though can be a bit hard on the
squeegee's life. I would be hesitant, too, for these small areas unless you
have a  pretty good area beyond the stepped screening area to give a good
lead-in for the squeegee. Otherwise, and you're going to have less pressure
at the sides from the squeegee than you are further towards the centre, and
this would probably lead to slightly thicker deposits at these edges.

Given that eutectic solder-balled BGA's don't actually require additional
solder to solder to the board, can you devise a scheme for blanking these
devices from the solder paste screening process? You could then introduce a
means of dot-applying flux paste, in a fashion similar to glue dispensing
to bond components to boards for wave soldering. That would save a lot of
angst about stencil thickness and aperture sizes - albeit you may have to
invest in a dispenser.

I wouldn't like to comment of the 12 mils aperture you propose, as my
knowledge in that direction borders on the dangerous (i.e. it's a little).

Good luck, though!

Peter

"J&J Technologies" <[log in to unmask]> 06/02/2003 08:13 PM