TECHNET Archives

February 2003

From:
"Bloomquist, Ken" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:10:44 -0800
We've struggled with this for years and we are up against the same thing
with reduced staffing. Our EH&S office, which use to handle shelf life
extensions, is pretty much gone.

One of the pieces of the formula needs to be the cost of disposal. Depending
on the material it can be quite expensive, not to mention adding to our
landfills.

We always do battle with our purchasing group who has and mandate to
purchase the "cheapest" quantity they can. In the case of something like
touch up paint they buy a gallon at $350 and we, production, use 1/4 ounce
before it reaches it's shelf life expiration date. I'd rather them pay $100
for a half pint and deal with that even though it would represent $1,600 per
gallon. I'm sure that it ends up being a heck of a lot cheaper in the total
scheme of things.

There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle that need to be considered regarding
shelf life. Be sure to look at them all before making your decisions.

KennyB