TECHNET Archives

February 2003

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:00:47 +0200
Ioan

Real DFM goes much farther than any specification: it is an attitude of
mind of the whole organisation and involves concurrent engineering with
just about every department and the major suppliers. For example
(extreme), you may design the perfect printed circuit board but that
design is useless if the OEM supplier cannot make the darn thing, the
purchasing department cannot obtain the components in the required time
frame or the assembly department can't solder it etc. And you will be
losing profit, to boot. This obviously has to be directed from the top.

Brian

PS This is my first post for a couple of months or so. A coupla guys
e-mailed me wondering whether anything had happened. The answer is no,
I'm still around but - for some unknown reason - I was bumped off the
netlist and, as I was ultra-busy with some beta-testing software, I only
logged on again two days ago. Thanks to those who expressed concern.