TECHNET Archives

February 2003

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:38:56 -0500
From:
Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>
Brian,

I really opened Pandora's box with this one.  Not to rebut your statements, but I would like to comment for clarification or perceived results.

When adding liquid flux the visual appearance is far superior to core only and using the same soldering tip and temperature the dwell time of soldering iron contact seems to be less.  Can I measure it?  No, but I'm much happier with the results.

Mixing fluxes does sound bad.  In both cases where this has been done it was mixing Kester Core 44 solder with Kester 1544 and Alpha Metals Aqualine 6000 solder with Alpha Metals 825-70.

In the case of the Alpha Metals we are using the largest core available.  To correct my proposed method it sounds like if I want to use liquid flux I should switch to 63/37 solid wire solder.  My argument for using liquid flux is based upon the supposition that the low viscosity of the liquid better penetrates down into the barrel of the hole around the wire particularly if the hole/lead tolerance is tight. With cored solder I have seen more problems with poor solder joints due to poor flow through or poor wetting of the lead and excessive solder on the joint.  We do only through hole boards.

I do not have SIR capabilities nor can I micro-section a suspect solder joint.  So I can't confirm final quality of my solder joints.

Looks like some changes are in the wind.

Phil