TECHNET Archives

February 2003

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:42:36 +0200
7bit
From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Phil

Scotchbrite is a no-no for good solderability, as is any other abrasive
product. Particles of abrasive get embedded into the metal, causing
dewetting. Prove it by taking some rolled copper sheet or foil. Clean it
by degreasing and dipping into a chemical copper brightener (e.g.,
persulfate or even 5% HCl, rinse and dry. Flux a test piece lightly and
dip into a solder bath vertically for a few seconds. It should tin
evenly and well. Take another piece and rub with Scotchbrite and repeat
the solder dip test (you can even use your brightener again, provided it
does not etch it too deeply). Ergo! Dewetting! Guaranteed!

Many of the solder manufacturers make a product for cleaning oxidised
tin/lead surfaces. Use one of thise.

Brian