TECHNET Archives

February 2003

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:36:11 +0800
base64

Hi, Marie,

One thing that has always concerned me, but which doesn't seem to have

panned out as a big issue so far, is the question of what happens to

absorbed moisture in components at temperatures below zero when the

equipment is unpowered. Does it freeze, expand and delaminate the host

component?

To answer your question directly, though, I haven't generally found that

taking components outside their stated operating temperature range actually

causes them any physical damage. That is, no damage unless you exceed the

temperatures at which the constituent materials degrade, but even with

commercial devices, I doubt you're doing that in a -40 to +70 range.

Commercial components are only rated from 0 deg C to +70 deg C, but what

this means is that the functional performace is only guaranteed within this

temperature range. Above or below that, functionality and/or performance

may drift, and normally, that's about all. Components should come back into

spec when they re-enter their given temperture range.

What is the nature of the failures you're experiencing? Are they "hard"

failures (no electrical contact, or intermittent contact), or are they just

drifting out of spec? You could conceivably have solder joint cracking,

depending on the quality of the processes you used to assemble the boards

and the number of temperature cycles cmpleted before failure occurs.

There are probably more questions than answers with your problem, which may

spark off another grand thread.

Good luck

Peter

ME Magnin <[log in to unmask]>    11/02/2003 12:14 AM

Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to me.magnin