TECHNET Archives

January 2003

From:
"Black, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:39:49 -0500
Yannick,

I recently went through the same evaluation, looking at the Ersa IR550,
Metcal BGA-3591, Conceptronics Freedom 3000 and Teradyne (SRT) Summit 750. I
chose the Ersa (although the Teradyne was very close). The unit is just
starting to be used on BGA's and so far it looks to be as good as promised.
This is the evaluation I wrote for the unit:

Ersa IR550A
This is the chosen unit. It took longer to get the opportunity to evaluate
this product because it is new, and there are no local installations yet.
They needed to bring a unit here to demo. This unit uses a different
technology than the others. While the other units rely on hot air to heat
the BGA, the Ersa utilizes IR technology. The IR applies the heat more
uniformly and directly to the part, and will not affect adjacent parts
nearly as much. The bottom side heater is programmable, another advantage of
the IR process. Because of this, we can lower the heat enough to avoid
melting some of our more sensitive components, (an issue we experienced with
the others), while still providing enough heat to prevent board warpage.
This unit is also able to perform the removal/ replacement operations
without the use of nozzles, unlike their competitors, and places components
with an actual pick and place head. We were able to remove a 144 pin SMT
connector that the others either could not have done, or would have required
a custom nozzle. Also, without nozzles, they are able to set the camera so
that the operators can actually observe the outer BGA balls reflowing, which
the others cannot do well because the nozzles obstruct the view. This camera
setup may allow us to use it to inspect BGA balls for solder quality.
Finally, the IR process appears to be better suited to Lead-free soldering
than the hot air models, and we will have to head down that path eventually.
Product support would be provided by either the regional manager out of
Newton or one of the two reps, both of whom are local. Each of them keeps a
demo system that could be used if ours needs to be sent out. The warranty is
for one year on parts and labor. They do not offer maintenance contracts.

If you want info on the other units that I reviewed, I could send you an
attachment to your personal email address.

Paul Black