TECHNET Archives

January 2003

From:
Carlr Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:03:20 -0600
Dave,
Does Excel have a function for calculating CPK? I have a hard time
trying to get the formulas right.

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/31/03 09:56AM >>>
RE: [TN] CP CPK CalculationsJohn Grabski III,

For calculating Cpk on you Palm, try:  MobileSPC 1.0 by Visual
Solutions  [[log in to unmask]]

While "Mobile SPC" will calculate Cpk with your Palm, we use Excel to
print charts and record Cpk calculations.   Our concern about doing Cpk
calculations on the Palm is it promotes a tendency to "quickie"
decisions.  Yano, when a Cpk "pops-up" on the computer, "it must be
true" type thing.  We want to sit-down and assure ourselves that all the
prerequisites [ie, normal distribution, stable, in-control, etc] are
met.

On the Palm, we collect data and do data grubbing with "ProStats 2.3.4"
by Software Engineering Inc. [[log in to unmask]].

On a different, barely related, statistical topic, while you're rooting
around "palmgear.com" [ tucows.com, palmblvd.com, or where ever] finding
"Mobile SPC", download "Six Sigma Calculator v1.3" by Embark
Technologies [[log in to unmask]].  It is two calculators for the price
of one [Actually it's freeware, such a bargain!!!].  The calculators
determine:

* Process sigma using given opportunities and defects.

* Allowed defects for a specified number of opportunities and target
sigma. Includes a table for allowed DPMO.

Dave Fish