TECHNET Archives

January 2003

From:
Matthias Mansfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 21:34:29 +0100
On 6 Jan 2003 at 12:25, Black, Paul wrote:

> My company is in the process of relayout of a board, and we are trying to
> use SM-782A for component layout. However, we are seeing a number of
> discrepancies between the recommended layout from the component manufacturer
> and the SM-782A standard. The differences include pad length and width, and
> distances between pads and pad rows. Does anyone have experience with this
> problem, and what is your recommendation?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul Black
> Manufacturing Engineer
> Kronos Incorporated

The IPC standard tries to define optimum footprints for best process
safety for the worst case sum of tolerances (means it should fit with
nearly every board shop and every assembly house).

Footprint recommendations from component manufacturers may base on
own tests under standard or specific conditions and can save place
and trouble (good example are the great Philips footprint guidelines
which need often much less place than IPC but need a bit more precise
placement equipment and sometimes a few prototype runs to optimize
the soldering process)

Or they result on nothing more than untested own thumb rules with no
scientific or experience-based justification. That's worst case.

The best idea is to check critical dimensions against IPC, against
good-known other recommendations (like Philips) and, most important
against the experiences of your favourite assembly house.

HTH, Regards
--
Matthias Mansfeld Elektronik
* Printed Circuit Board Design and Assembly