TECHNET Archives

January 2003

From:
Lum Wee Mei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 09:26:27 +0800
Hello,

Since we are in this MSD discussion, I would like to share with all what
my colleague shared with me a page from the book : Plastic Encapsulated
Microelectronics - Materials, Processes, Quality, Reliability and
Applications by Michael G. Pecht, Luu T. Nguyen an dEdward B Hakim that
states :

...High temperature and temperature ramp rates, prime loads that cause
popcorning are experienced by the packages during surface mounting on
circuit boards. Of particular concern are solder reflow processes that
heat the package body such as infrared heating, hot-air furnace and
vapor phase reflow. . . . . Wave soldering may be a concern if
components dip through the solder wave. . . Though-hole mounted plastic
encapsulated microcircuits do not exhibit popcorning because the
component body is protected from the solder heat by the board. . .

So, am I correct to interpret that popcorning will not occur when SMDs
or PTHs components are assembled using hand soldering?

Regards
Wee Mei