TECHNET Archives

January 2003

Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:30:21 +0800
Hi, Seet Leng,

If you have to achieve a specified coating thickness, neither dipping nor
brushing methods of application are controllable enough to guarantee that.
Added to which, you have to mask and de-mask before and after application,
all of which takes time. How many boards are you dealing with at one time?
How complex a shape is the forbidden zone?

If your volume of boards (or customer relations) is sufficient to justify
it, I recommend you buy a programmable conformal coat spray machine such as
is produced by Asymtek. These machines give a very even thickness of
coating in x, y, z and rotational axes, and spray so accurately that you do
not need to mask - just programme for a narrow spray pattern (0.125 inches
wide) to spray up to the edge of the forbidden zone. Once you've qualified
the flow rates, nozzle pressures and feed speeds for the nozzles that you
need to achieve the coating thickness you require, you just have to load
the board, call up the appropriate programme and press a button - the
machine does the rest - on both sides with the jig to flip the board.  I
believe there is also a "step and repeat" facility, depending on board
size, that allows you to coat several boards at once. Follow the link below
for more info.

http://www.asymtek.com/

Good Luck.

Peter

Ong Seet Leng <[log in to unmask]> 24/01/2003 10:51 AM
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to Ong Seet Leng