TECHNET Archives

January 2003

Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:07:43 +0800
Michael,

My understanding of the word immersion is that it means "completely covered
by", though our copy of J-STD 003 is not with me to check the context.
Having said that, it seems to me that it would not be an 'Edge Dip" test if
the whole board were to be immersed, and this is backed up by me reading :
"...the specimen shall be immersed into the molten solder edgewise to a
depth of 1"+/- .08".

It's quite clear to me that an area of the board, bordered by a line 1" in
from the card edge, must be wholely immersed in (completely covered by)
molten solder. i.e. the rest of the board remains above the solder surface.

So you fix your board to a gadget that raises and lowers it at 1+/- 0.08"
per second. You lower the board, edge first and at the prescribed rate,
into molten solder until the leading edge is 1"+/- .08" below the surface
of the solder. Leave the board there at that depth for between 2.7 and 3.3
seconds before starting to pull it out again at the prescribed rate.

It does mean that the zone at the surface will be immersed for at most 3.3
seconds, while the leading edge (one inch down in the solder) will be
immersed for 5.46 seconds at most. To me, this is how the term "3 +/- 0.3
secs minimum" should actually be interpreted - the surface zone immersion
can be timed at 3 +/- 0.3 seconds, but the writer knows that the rest of
the strip will be immersed for longer, though he's at a loss how to express
it all meaningfully in words. How would you express it?

Peter

I'll ask a question in return

"Mcmaster, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>  24/01/2003 09:47 AM
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to "Mcmaster,
Michael"