TECHNET Archives

January 2003

From:
Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:32:12 -0800
 From and OEM's perspective, I concur with Mark's answer below.  It's
application dependant.  It depends on what the critical thickness is for
next level of assembly.

Our default is to specify "over final metallization."   However, we will
specify differently if depending on where the mechanical assembly (e.g.
card slots in a rack, connectors, LCD clips,...) is sensitive to thickness
of the pwb.  That call out may include a detail on the fab drawing if it's
particularly critical but generally it's a note associated with the stackup
detail on our fab drawing.

There's a variety of terms that have been used depending on the
application.  Off the top of my head, I've seen notes such as "at card
edge;" in the case of a clamshell housing that's degree of closure was
determined by the thickness of the pwb; or "over laminate at card edge"  in
a case where the critical fit area was cleared of metal and soldermask; or
"over soldermask and copper." I'm sure there have been other more (or less)
precise terms used.  You get the idea...

The answer is "it depends."

dw