TECHNET Archives

January 2003

From:
Marcus Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:06:49 -0500
Bill,

  We had a very similar problem a couple of years ago. It turned out there
was moisture trapped in the adhesive. When it went across the wave "boom"
the parts were literally blown off the board. If you can see tiny voids in
the cured adhesive or there are chunks missing from the adhesive this may
be your problem. Are you stenciling or dispensing the adhesive?

Marcus Wheeler
Sr. Mfg. Engineer
Apsco International
440-352-8961 * 530

                      Bill Page
                      <bill.page@SANMIN        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      A-SCI.COM>               cc:
                      Sent by: TechNet         Subject:  [TN] This is a new one on me

                      01/22/2003 10:09
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "TechNet E-Mail
                      Forum."; Please
                      respond to Bill
                      Page

Hey folks,

I've been in this business for over 20 years, and thought I had seen it
all,
but this is a new one. We're having problems with our glue/wave solder
process. Parts are falling off the board.

"That's not new," you say?
"Check your handling, stupid," you say?
"Check your glue cure process, stupid," you say?

Yep.
Shear tests indicate that our glue process is working.
We're using a product that is very widely used in the industry, following
the manufacturer's recommended cure profile.

And yet, parts fall off -- as they go through the wave solder machine.
Adhesive stays put. Has a flat surface where the part used to be.
Pads are beautifully soldered...just no parts there.
And we have verified that the parts are present before the wave.

Across chip suppliers and part numbers, across solder mask types, across
PWB
vendors.

Is it just me?
Is the business finally catching up with me?
Should I give up and become a high school band director?

Your suggestions are welcome!

Bill Page
Kenosha, WI