TECHNET Archives

January 2003

From:
Richard Lepa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:06:58 -0600
Hello Technetters,

We are about to embark into our first foray into the world of silver
immersion circuit boards.  We currently assemble PCBs using ENIG and HASL
circuit boards.  Colleagues in this company are primarily worried about the
electromigration problems.  I have a few questions:

1)  What is the impact of areas on the board that are left unsoldered
(silver finish still intact) is that area more susceptible to
electromigration.
2)  Is anyone using the silver finish for touch pads and if so what has the
reliability been like.
3)  Do most companies who use silver boards design the boards as SMOBC and
then selectively silver plate or can you (or should you) immersion silver
the entire board.
4)  If  the whole board received silver plating would it be more or less
susceptible to electromigration then a SMOBC board.

Thanks for your help.

Richard Lepa, B.Sc. (I.E.)
Manufacturing Engineer

Vansco Electronics Ltd.