TECHNET Archives

January 2003

From:
Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:19:16 -0500
Joe,

In a prior life, the company I worked at had an operator clean their ESD
smocks with a special detergent. Later on, we outsourced that service, using
a cleaning service. I always thought we had better control of the smocks
when they were outsourced since I knew when each operator's smock was going
to be cleaned. Certain shops had to have their smocks cleaned more often
than other shops due to the operations involved within the shop.

During this time, the operators and staff were not permitted to take the
smocks outside the airlock to the cleanrooms. Household detergents will
damage the carbon fibers within the ESD lab coat.

One shop I audited that allowed their operators to take home their smocks
for cleaning lost control of the cleaning process, ESD control, and the
smocks. Saw operators using smocks outside, playing softball, walking in the
rain, etc. Had the pleasure of telling a plant manager his ESD plan was out
of control and was being totally ignored with respect to controlling ESD
smocks (The names have been changed to protect the innocent and not to
embarrass the guilty).

My recommendation is to keep control of the smocks.

Lee Whiteman
Senior Manufacturing Engineer
E-Mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Ph: (610) 362-1200 x208
Fax: (610) 362-1290