TECHNET Archives

January 2003

From:
Ahne Oosterhof <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:51:53 -0800
And in my opinion, the circuit designer is the "master". He knows what the
circuit is supposed to do and how it is supposed to work and he should be
able to recognize when it will not work. (e.g. what parts of the circuit are
very sensitive and should not be near other parts of the circuit; which
parts of the circuit have very large signals on them; which parts of the
circuit use very large currents; which parts of the circuit use very high
voltages, which parts of the circuit use very high frequency signals and
need controlled impedance lines, which parts of a digital circuit form a bus
and all signals need to arrive at very close to the same time, etc.)
Together with the board designer the circuit designer should discuss all
these potential problems and together conclude how the board gets laid out.
Of course the mechanical design engineer gets involved to determine how the
board fits in the intended enclosure and where the mounting points need to
be. And the manufacturing engineer from the board manufacturer needs to be
involved to make sure that the board fits optimally in their board
manufacturing process and the manufacturing engineer from the assembly plant
has to do the same thing for their processes and -------.
Did I forget anyone? Oh yeah, don't forget to talk to the safety engineer to
make sure he agrees with all the board spacings from a regulatory stand
point.
Of course the assumption has been that all these functions are handled by
different people. When several of these functions are included in one
person's job, all this cooperation can be easier to accomplish (but also
easier to get overlooked.)

In short, somebody, anybody, a Project Engineer, has to do all this
coordination to make sure everyone's requirements get included. Is that what
is called DFM?

Have fun,
Ahne.