TECHNET Archives

January 2003

From:
Graham Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:08:39 -0500
Hi Bev
If it's your design (I'm assuming so) then you can do whatever you want to put on a drawing.  However - there are no inspection criteria for an intentional solder bridge.   How do you define how much solder to use?

We would use a mod wire so as to ensure a consistent mod, but I guess it depends on the criticality of the application.

regards,

Graham Collins
Process Engineer,
Northrop Grumman Canada Corporation
Halifax
(902) 873-2000 ext 6215

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/16/03 03:01PM >>>
Technetters,
How do I do what is proposed in my title?  The options are using excess solder or using a mod wire.  Are there other options for doing this mod?  What do people do?  What is allowed and not allowed by IPC standards (I couldn't find anything, but then I may not be looking in the right place.)  I would expect option one would be a whole heck of a lot easier than option 2.  As long as option 1 doesn't produce bulbous joints with the solder all the way up to the component body is there any real reason why I can't do this?

regards,
Bev Christian
Research in Motion