TECHNET Archives

January 2003

Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:22:05 EST
Paul S./Alcon: In one of my previous lives (prior to those many years with
DOD) I calibrated moisture sensing gauges used in paper-mills to measure
moisture content of paper coming off of the mill. One step required using a
precision die to cut a specific sample out of the paper being produced.  We
weighed the sample and then immolated it in an oven to define the ash content
of the paper and analyze the constituents that were present in the paper. We
used cotton gloves to avoid contaminating the samples. After experiencing
wide, unexplainable, variations is data I did some experiments and found that
data were being contaminated by weight variations of the samples and that the
weight variations were traceable to contaminated gloves. Additional
experiments with gloves found that the weight of gloves began to increase
detectable within one-minute of being worn. Several experiments were
conducted to confirm the observation and it was found that all gloves were
measurable contaminated after a five-minute period. We discontinued the use
of cotton gloves and started using playtex living gloves (with frequent
alcohol baths) and our data stabilized.  We lived happily everafter. I was
(obviously) never able to convince USN or DOD of the folly of using cotton
gloves.
- While managing the NAVAIRSYSCOM MIL-STD-2000 school in Indianapolis I did
find one good application for cotton gloves.  When worn beneath finger cots
the gloves tend to wick moisture from beneath the finger cots and improve
operator comfort. They also tend to minimize the dreaded "finger ring" that
people with large hands get from wearing finger cots that pinch into the
flesh of all fingers.
Hope the above trip down memory lane assists some.
Regards, Jim Moffitt