TECHNET Archives

January 2003

Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:18:55 -0500
Are you telling me the MFG is selecting the paste now instead of the
design house?  I thought material change is a major change, that
including the flux type used for the process.  The designer better be
fully aware of the following:
(1) environmental operation condition and reliability (pad size and
filler size included)
(2) subsequent reliability issue related to the possible residue left on
the board (water soluble or no clean)
(3) components lead finishing and shelf life issue related to the flux
used and hopefully, different source of components terminal finishing
vs.. flux/process used (someone should take a overall responsibility if
it is not designer = personally, I think he should be the one, since he
is the one to select the components.  We are not talking about the
draftsmen here).
3-6 month (if you got Union to prevent him actually do the hands on) and
make sure he understand the issues before doing design.
My 1.28 cents.
                                                   jk

http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for additional information, or contact
Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700 ext.5315