TECHNET Archives

January 2003

Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:05:54 +0800

Marie,

Welcome to TechNet!

Although no expert, my reaction is that voids in the goldplating would not,

in itself, cause poor vertical fill in the holes. The gold should burn off

during soldering and wetting should be to the underlying Nickel (presumably

this is an ENIG board). It seems to me that the problem is either with the

underlying copper plating or else the Nickel layer plated onto that. Have

you done any cross-sections of affected areas?

Some questions:

1. What are the diameters and aspect ratios of the affected holes? If the

aspect ratio is too great and/or the hole diameter too small, plating

thickness half way down the hole is affected, especially with

small-diameter holes.

2. What is the target gold plating thickness? If it's too thick, that may

have some bearing on the problem you're seeing. If it's too thin, and you

have Nickel plating underneath, you may have porous gold that has allowed

the Nickel to oxidise. This would cause poor wetting and so the solder

might not rise properly.

3. What flux was used to assemble the boards? Maybe you need to try a

slightly more aggressive one. I'm not well up on fluxes, so can't make any

recommendations, but I'm sure others can.

4. Is it only the holes that are affected, or is the soldering quality of

other parts of the boards less than ideal also?

We need a few more clues to give a better answer.

Peter

Marie Magnin <[log in to unmask]> 13/01/2003 10:01 PM

Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to Marie Magnin